View all Test
GPO EXCHANGE TEST SET 5422, 1960's
Used in exchanges for testing equipment.
Marked DGM ATW 54220 Issue 4
Add a memory or information about this object
- I tested these test sets from 1970 to 1973
at Whiteleys in the Set room with Keith Williams when we where part of the Inspection
Team led by manager Cyril Lane. I left Whiteleys in October 73 to join Post office
Telephones has a lineman then used these test sets to test lines in and out of the
Exchanges. Stuart Mallinder
.......... STUART MALLINDER, DERBY, 4th of August 2017
- I left school, aged 16, in 1974 and worked for Whiteley Electrical Radio Co Ltd in Mansfield, Notts. I used to build and test these units. We made hundreds of them in the mid 70's. Slightly updated from the early model shown, however, clearly recognizable.
.......... Mike, Mansfield, Notts., 4th of March 2016
- I have an example of this test set. Rescued, slightly damaged, from a skip.
It uses a B101 battery (67½ Volts).
Instructions available from www.yorkley.plus.com/teles%20auto%20t1012.pdf‎
.......... John Welch, Gobowen, Oswestry, Salop., 4th of June 2013
- was the standard test kit in rural exchanges. it was connected to exchange battery , exchange ringing generator though it had hand operated generator built in and a telephone set. the test clips were generally connected to the main distribution frame. this was the point where testing to line i.e. toward the subscriber was performed.tests available were insulation . earth or negative contact and condenser kick .
.......... pierce dunphy, enniscorthy co wexford ireland., 19th of May 2013
- I mounted one of these on a trolley and used it as portable test desk. I believe in small exchanges they were fixed to a wall and were the only test set in such exchanges.
.......... Keith Williams, Hemel Hempstead, UK, 25th of August 2010