Home:  Scientific: GRENET CELL, 1888

GRENET CELL, 1888

View all Scientific

GRENET CELL, 1888

The power source used by Thomas Edison for his perfected Phonograph of 1888. The Grenet cell was invented by the German Johan Christian Poggendorff (1796-1877). Called Grenet Cell because he made a practical version possible. Used as a source of power before the Dry Battery became available. It consists of three plates in a jar filled with 17 parts potassium dichromate dissolved in 100 parts of distilled water with the addition of 22 parts sulphuric acid. The two positive plates are made of retort graphite, the negative Zinc that can be raised or lowered into the solution; this prevents corrosion when not in use. These units come in varying sizes from 1/3 to 3 Litres.

Add a memory or information about this object

A0185



2007 The Museum of Technology, The Great War and WWII
Company registered in England No. 7452160, Registered Charity No. 1140352, Accredited Museum No. 2221